[meteorite-list] Strewnfield or Strewn Field?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:26:52 +0100

Martin, the geek, has a little correction.

"strewnfield" is a compound and no portmanteau.

A portmanteau is a contraction of two words, forming a completely new word,
Like e.g. "breakfast + lunch" = "brunch" or "smoke + fog" = "smog".

While a compound is a combination of two words, where one constituent
determines the other closer.
Like e.g. "snowball" - a ball made of snow; "windshield" - a shield
protecting from wind; "steamboat" - a boat moving by steam power or
producing steam; "barefoot" - ect.

Hence a "strewnfield" is a field, where something had been strewn on.
(As a portmanteau it would be "strewld", "strield" or something like that).

Hehe, in German language we have the possibility to create endless
compounds, true word-monsters. (you find them especially, if you'll making
your tax declaration).

>From English: a "catalogue of data of meteoritic strewn fields" for
instance, we can make a single and valid word in German:

Ein "Meteoritenstreufelddatenkatalog"

Best,
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----