[meteorite-list] Refraction and cutting solvents

From: starsandscopes at aol.com <starsandscopes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:31:01 EST

Hi Paul, I am not aware of any change to optical properties of material
due to lubricants but with the more advanced testing watch out.

I had some material that I polished with a diamond slurry to 1/4 micron.
I sent some to a respected researcher that I occasionally consult (he
helps me out a lot!). The sample was analyzed on a Raman Spectrometer and
found to contain carbon. As this material was (kind of) unique and produced an
odor when cutting or polishing, I naturally figured it was carbonaceous.
I circulated that information and wound up quite embarrassed when it turned
out to be an OC. It appears the diamond slurry was an oil base that
changed the spectrometer signature.

I think the proper solvent wash would of prevent this but I didn't think
of it so I never washed the sample or told my friend what I had used in the
sample preparation.

Tom Phillips

In a message dated 1/16/2010 2:15:02 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,