[meteorite-list] Meteorite Pairing Discussions

From: Thomas Webb <webbth1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:04:36 -0800 (PST)

List,
Martin wrote--
- Even if you're absolutely sure, that one of your stones is paired to one
or several existing NWA-numbers, you are not allowed in no case to use one
of these numbers.

I think I understand the reasoning behind what has been put forth in this discussion so far and abide with it in my own dealings, however, I must wonder why practically everyone on the list who deals in meteorites has not had their "probably paired with" NWA 869 stones classified with a new number rather than just listing them as NWA 869 even though they bought them as unclassified and "probably paired with". Is there some hypocrisy here? Is it OK to make an eyeball pairing with 869 but not other NWA's? Does no one care on this one simply because there is so much of it, so the rule does not apply? Could it be that no one cares about getting a new number and classification if it's a meteorite that sells for pennies per gram, but if it sells for many dollars or hundreds of dollars per gram, then it becomes important? Is it OK to bend or break the rules in some cases but not others? Does greed ever enter into the equation?

I've asked a lot of questions. I'm certain there's someone here who can give reasonable answers.

My best,
Thomas