[meteorite-list] A mystery in the making

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:04:18 -0800

All:

I thought this interesting.

Greg S.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/vernonmorningstar/opinion/letters/82457857.html

A mystery in the making

Published: January 23, 2010 12:00 PM

On the morning of Dec. 23, we looked out the window at our frozen pond and saw a gaping hole right in the middle. There were absolutely no tracks in the snow and the ice is 10-inches thick.

The pond is 80-feet wide and 120-feet long and nobody could possible have thrown anything into the middle and break 10 inches of ice. And no tracks.

We didn't take any photos that morning as we were leaving for Fernie to be with our family for Christmas.

But the whole time we were away, we kept pondering what could have made that hole?

As soon as we returned from Fernie ? five days later, we took some photos and we are still none the wiser. Could it have been a meteorite?

Did anybody see a flash or ball of fire early on the morning of Dec. 23 over Bluenose Mountain in Lavington?

Anybody have any ideas?

Molly and Sandy Boyd