[meteorite-list] Dumb Questions About Meteors & Meteorites

From: Erik Fisler <erikfwebb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:33:43 -0700

Eric, try this:
?One way to collect micrometeorites is to set a large shallow tray of
water outside for a couple days. You should see some residue on the
bottom in time. Cover a magnet with Saran wrap, wax paper or some other
type of material. Pick up magnetic material in tray with your magnet
and set on paper to dry. Observe material with a good- strong
microscope. Some of what you see will be spherical balls- those are the
micrometeorites.

Steve from the nuggetshooter forum(http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=4) posted that 2 years ago.? There were great links and photos but the sites are long gone.? I quote, "If you're not having any luck hunting macrometeorites, try hunting micrometeorites. You'll never get skunked."

Can someone with a microscope try this and post pictures if they can?

[Erik]