[meteorite-list] THE OLDEST METEORITE ?

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:39:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi Shawn,

Are you asking what the oldest meteorite is or the oldest component in a meteorite?? There are metamorphosed sedimentary rocks on Earth that are a billion years old but contain zircons that are dated as?a couple of?billion years older than that.? So if you're asking about the oldest meteorite (in?the rock sense) I'd go with the angrites from your examples below.

The one thing I do know is that every day they all get a day older. (w/ apologies to Yogi Berra).

Cheers,

Frank