[meteorite-list] Lorton, Smithsonian and "cool" scientists thinking

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:12:03 -0800 (PST)

This is something I really dont understand.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/28/AR2010012804235.html
Quote:
The Smithsonian is just trying to stay out of it.

"It will remain securely under the care of the Smithsonian until the ownership is established," said Randall Kremer, director of public affairs of the National Museum of Natural History. "Right now, we accept the premise that the doctors are the owners."

If that quote is true, does the Smithsonian not accept what the law states when following the premise that the "doctors are the owners" and not the property owner (as stated by US law)?

Quote:
"The Lorton meteorite is worth $50,000, easy," said Robert A. Haag

Do you not think the property owners have been told this? I am sure the landowners got a very nice offer for a considerable amount more then the $5000 offered by the Smithsonian, perhaps that has something to do with all this?
Would you not put up a fight when you think/know you are going to "lose out" on a payday like that?

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites