[meteorite-list] More on the Lorton... or Lorton hears a Who ?

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:57:01 -0500

Paul wrote;
"I have always wondered about the case of a meteorite hitting a
house or landed on a property, for which the "owner" was still
paying off his or her mortgage."
I am pretty sure that the mortgage holder does not legally own anything outright except a piece of paper. Unless they go through foreclosure procedures. I think this has been illustrated recently by cases being thrown out of court where bankers complained of owners selling off parts of the property prior to the final foreclosure date, In these cases home owners got to keep the proceeds of sales of things that normally would have stayed with the home. Things such as kitchen cabinets, sinks, etc. The court ruled that lenders are just lenders.
I would like to know how state and city Gov's fit in? I seem to remember from this list that AZ. treats finds as okay as long as you have some sort of hunting or collecting permit? I think they said they allow collection of all but burial objects and arrow heads? Carl

--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax