[meteorite-list] Trends with WI Fall and alike for July

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:13:38 -0700

The tkw and number of stones recovered from WI are significantly
smaller than those of Ash Creek, so prices are likely to stay fairly
high, but...it's a fall like any other, so the price will likely
deflate once the typical frenzy fades.

I'm still trying to figure out why the price jump occurred, when the
price for a new American fall went from $10/g in the mid-to-late 90's
-- to $20-60/g for Park Forest -- to Ash Creek at $100/g.

That never made much sense to me. I suppose it might be the influx of
new collectors, but...even so. I have the feeling that it really does
have to do with the fact that more smaller-time dealer/collectors have
been going out for each fall, finding fewer stones per person. Then,
when they get home looking to recoup enough to cover their trips'
expenses, they want to sell only a stone or two to cover their costs.
In the old days, fewer people would travel out to recover new falls,
and they would return with more material, fully prepared to sell
nearly all of it. They would have more material to cover the same
expenses/turn a profit.

Either way, the fallback price for these larger falls seems to settle
at around $20/g, but I would still anticipate higher prices for
meteorites like WI and Whetstone, where relatively few stones have
been found and the tkw's have remained in the 3-4 kilogram range.

Compare to Villalbeto de la Pe?a.

Regards,
Jason