[meteorite-list] Trends with WI Fall and alike for July

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

The WI fall was a strange one. I think too many people were trying to get rich of others.
Before anyone comes at me with the numbers of the trip, I know and I understand, but at the same time, it can be done for much less.

When I see reports of the landowners selling the stones for less then $10 per gram (I know of several who would not pay more the $3 per gram!)and then see them selling it for $100/g or more, thats just too much...

Why do you think the 2 kg stone was hushed up so much? I have seen pics of it, so have many others and yet nobody wants to act like it exists and people still call a 330g stone the main mass when in reality, its far from the main mass.

I dont like the trend with new falls and the prices that go with them, its taking advantage of collectors. Thats the whole reason I sold my WI material at $60 or less when others were still getting $100 or more... and I got many mean emails filled with profanity over putting that price public... Why? They knew they it would hurt the value. I did not sell it for that to do that, I did it because its not worth any more then that, and anyone who says it is, I ask again, why?

There is likely 10kg or more of the fall, its not rare by any means.

Sure there is a price to pay for those that cant make it to the fall site, but when is it too much?

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites