[meteorite-list] Moon Trees

From: Richard Kowalski <kowalski_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:28:10 -0700

Changing threads here.

Tracy,

I believe you are talking about the "Moon Trees". Trees that were grown from
seeds taken to the moon and brought back during the Apollo 14 mission.

There are a number of first generation trees around the United States.

We have one right outside the main entrance of the Lunar and Planetary Lab here
in Tucson (between the Kuiper Space Sciences building and the Flandrau
Planetarium) Ours is a Sycamore. I've collected some seeds from it and will be
trying to sprout a second generation Moon Tree from it.

The other species of Moon Trees are Loblolly Pine, Sweetgum, Redwood, and
Douglas Fir.

Since there has never been a mission that has returned from Mars, there are no
"Mars Trees". (Yet)

I have to say when I head into the office it is kinda neat to know the seed that
this tree grew from did make a trip to the moon and back.

More about Moon Trees and their locations can be found here:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/moon_tree.html

--
Richard Kowalski
Catalina Sky Survey