[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: USB 2.0 mp Digital Camera]

From: Starsinthedirt at aol.com <Starsinthedirt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 21:17:34 EDT

Hi Mike and List, Thanks for the generous compliment Mike!

I am often asked about the best microscope to buy. I wrote a MT article
called "The Right Microscope For You"
http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2008/may/Micro_Visions.htm

The key is to decide what you want to accomplish before any microscope
selection. These USB microscopes with Xpol features are not bad. Any
incident (reflected) light microscope will not give the intense color of
transmitted (pass through) cross polarized light. These USB Xpol set ups are cheap
and they do a good job of what they are designed to do.

Some of my favorite images are reflected light chondrule shots. Largely
true color. The NWA 6075 Lodranite images on my gallery show just how
interesting reflected light can be. Please take a look.
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/articles/nwa-6075/

These images are taken in the same principle as the USB microscopes.

If you want a low cost color producing thin section machine you can still
use the simple USB microscope but the USB microscope lighting must be
turned off and you will need to set up a polarizing fixture. I like a fiber
optic light panel with two large camera linear polarizing filters. I bought
several huge polarizers on eBay for less than $10 each. You will need two.
Simply place the thin section between the filters and use a bright light
source of your choice. The USB microscope can then be used to magnify the
cross polarized light colors.

Over the past few years I have picked up a few old polarimeters. The kind
used for thin film study or strain gauge set ups like those from
Strainoptics. These make for nice full thin section viewing and are often equipped
with retardation plates which will intensify the colors.

For high magnification however, there is no substitute for quality optics
and that is seldom cheap.

Tom Phillips

In a message dated 7/6/2010 6:28:16 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,