[meteorite-list] Rosetta Flyby of Asteroid 21 Lutetia

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:49:59 -0700

Hola,
We seem to have a bit of a problem...
The article seems to suggest that carbonaceous chondrites have a
density between nearly 4 and 5 grams per cubic centimeter.
Might anyone on the list be willing to comment on this slight discrepancy?

>A team of researchers used the VLT
and Keck telescopes to estimate Lutetia's bulk density, finding it to be
in the range 3.98 to 5.00 g cm^-3 , depending on the model that is
adopted. Although no precise value could be determined this range of
density would support a carbonaceous composition (see Drummond et al.,
[2010]).

-As opposed to:

http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/density.html

The numbers in the article simply stuck me as out of place - yes the
asteroid appears to be less dense than an iron meteorite, but it's a
difference of only 20-30%. If you take a look at the following paper
-

http://www.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/etext/40/text/MAPS36Welten2.pdf

They assume the density of the given mesosiderite to be 5 grams per
cubic centimeter - a value the authors say is at the more dense end of
the spectrum for even stony-iron meteorites.

Drummond points out in his paper that Lutetia is in fact likely not a
carbonaceous chondrite.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1005.5353

He suggests that it is most likely an enstatite chondrite, but also
notes that the density body as a whole might be less than its
constituents, as it may be a rubble-pile asteroid (a mix of solid
chunks of matter and empty space). As such, I would have to say that
it is most likely composed primarily of stony-iron or iron material.
A dense stony body would also be a possibility, but as Drummond et al.
note, this body is apparently more dense than your average chondrite
of *any* type.

-And the recently calculated values showed it to be more dense than
earlier estimates!

Regards,
Jason