[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil iron is official now - 1.6 metric tons!?!?

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:48:03 -0400

"Ataxite" is a structural term, like octahedrite and hexahedrite.
Modern classification of iron meteorites is based on the chemical group,
which can tell you something about the parent asteroid. The structural
classification is quasi-independent of the chemical classification,
inasmuch as members of each structural group can belong to multiple
chemical groups. So "ataxite" has not been replaced with "iron,
ungrouped." Both are correct.

When I used to edit MetBull, the heading on the description of this
meteorite would have said "Iron, ataxite (ungrouped)", but other editors
have abandoned this.

Jeff