[meteorite-list] Crater Wrong?

From: rexscates at comcast.net <rexscates_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:51:47 +0000 (UTC)

here is a qoute from a geologist about the history of Ohio.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/MainNavigation/News/NewsArchive/VolcanicActivityinOhio/tabid/22891/Default.aspx
"While Ohio does not feature any active volcanoes today, our state did go through ages of periodic volcanic activity during the Precambrian, Ordovician, and Devonian Periods from about 4.5 billion to about 360 million years ago."

There is no way that a volcanoe from 360 million years?could have made serpent mound. I have never heard of a volcanoe remains lasting close to that long. Erosion is a powerfull force. I am not saying what made that mound but I can not beleive it is a collapsed caldera.

-Rex Scates

http://scaleobjects.com

"I have always read that Serpent Mound, Ohio was built on top of an impact rebound, but the other evening I was told that it was built on top of the center of a collapsed volcanic caldera. While functionally it does not make any difference, as I don't remember any shatter cones from it being offered for sale on the list, and I am wondering.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas"