[meteorite-list] Its official! NWA 6291 "The King of Angrites" for sale -...

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:58:27 -0700

> I am not disputing other crystals in angrites, my comments were to the translucent slices like mine has.
> While many chimed in and claimed to have seen such, still, nobody has shown pictures of an angrite with back lit >translucent crystals (like in a pallasite) that are 1cm x 1cm in size.
> I find it interesting how fast some people seem to want to discredit my new Angrite. This is a really awesome >meteorite!

I've seen such crystals in larger D'Orbigny specimens, and I'm sorry
that you feel like this is a personal attack, and I'm sorry that I
don't have a large slice of D'Orbigny lying around that I can snap
some photos of.
The simple fact of the matter is that you made some claims regarding
your angrite that I, and others who have seen said pieces of
D'Orbigny, know to be untrue.

Is anyone trying to say anything bad about your angrite? Nope. I
brought up the Mercury question again (take a look at list archives -
it's come up before with regards to a listing by the Hupes)
because...the topic was breached again.

> Had it been someone like the Hupes, or Farmer that announced this, I really dont think that would have happened.

The last time this came up (a month ago), it was in response to a post
regarding a small piece of NWA 2999 selling for a ridiculous price at
auction. I believe the specimen was listed by Darryl Pitt, since he
usually lists such material at auction houses, but I could well be
mistaken.

This was the result:

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2010-June/066002.html

No, we're not picking on you in particular. I felt like making a note
given that we'd just gone over this topic and the folks trying to sell
the angrites didn't seem to bat an eyelid at the fact that the "proof"
that angrites came from Mercury seemed tenable at first, and now looks
to be...just plain bad.

As I noted, yours is still the only known angrite with translucent
anorthosite crystals, and it's still a piece of some of the rarest
stuff on earth (at least twice as much martian and significantly more
lunar material has been found than angrite).

There's a reason that was said.

Now I suppose you can call me a liar and say that I never saw such
piece of D'Orbigny, but...Anne was kind enough to post a photo of a
piece with a centimeter-sized olivine crystal, and one of the papers
that I included a link to in my last email noted similar crystals in
the specimen they examined, as well as in Asuka 881371. Such crystals
exist. Even if you don't believe that I've seen one, think about it.
D'Orbigny was mostly sliced up. It contains cm-sized clear olivine
crystals. That's an easy 2+2...

Regards,
Jason