[meteorite-list] Fight Over Meteorite Crashes Into Court

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:41:32 +0200

>Very interesting

...but also very silly.

Btw. I can't understand that meteorites are set under laws for artifacts or
are referred to as "artifact".

Latin "ars,-tis" means technique, the art, skill

And "factum" means "made".

An artifact is - sorry for the tautology, but it's the same word -

an artificially made object. A man-made object.

I would feel somewhat unwell, to be sentenced by a judge, treated by a
doctor, administered by a clerk,

who doesn't even know such simple things.

And the publications of a scientist or curator, who pleads for meteorites
being artifacts or falling under the laws of artifacts,
well - I wouldn't read them, if he or her in our modern times isn't aware,
where meteorites stem from and if he or her thinks, they must be artificial.
I would think that person would be an ufologist or a mystic.

....same with meteorites being "antiques".

Ouch
Martin