[meteorite-list] Vesta and its core.

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:21:57 -0700 (PDT)

Ok so if you weren't addressing Angrites in the first place with Vesta I am going to change the subject to Vesta and its core
?
Now you say that Vesta's core volume is roughly 17%?and?Earth is roughly 17% as well. This being said,?at 2.35 A.U. Vesta?wouldn?t?be able?to attain an iron core at the volume at that distance, concluding to you, that Vesta accreted closer to the Sun. Ill refresh your memory what you said in your previous post.....
?
?"If there is only enough available iron
at 1.5 AU for Mars to accumulate a core that is only
8% of its volume), how could Vesta, at 2.35 AU, have
accumulated enough iron for a core 17.5% of its
volume, or 56% of its original, uncratered diameter?"
?
Simple.... Vesta is only 300 miles in diameter; Earth?s?core is the size of the moon. Vestas core has been suggested to be at 130 miles. So to obtain iron wouldn?t take much compared to Earth core.
?
My guess is this:
?
Abstract:
?
Geological History of Asteroid 4 Vesta:
The ?Smallest Terrestrial Planet?
?
Klaus Keil
?
Taking
into account the somewhat uncertain radial heterogeneity
in 53Mn in the formation regions, these ages can be
used to translate the 53Mn-53Cr formation intervals of eucrites
into an absolute age for the differentiation of Vesta.
Based on measurements of the basaltic eucrite Chervony
Kut, for example, an age of 4563.6 ? 0.9 Ma is derived, only
a few million years younger than the formation of CAIs
(Lugmair and Shukolyukov, 1998). Furthermore, the great
antiquity of the eucrites and hence the evidence for melting
and differentiation of Vesta on a timescale of a few million
years is further supported by the detection of the decay
products of other extinct radionuclides such as 26Mg from
the decay of 26Al (half-life 0.73 m.y.) (Srinivasan et al.,
1999; Nyquist et al., 2001) and 60Ni from the decay of 60Fe
(half-life 1.5 m.y.) (see references in Carlson and Lugmair,
2000)....
?
Modeling of the thermal history of Vesta by Ghosh
and McSween (1998) suggests that heating by 26Al would
keep the mantle hot for ~100 m.y., consistent with the
younger ages of cumulate eucrites....
?
There is convincing geochemical evidence that Vesta
experienced a high degree of (or possibly complete) melting
that resulted in the formation of a metal core. For example,
the depletion in moderately siderophile incompatible
elements (e.g., Ni, Co, Mo, W, P) relative to nonsiderophile
incompatible elements in HED meteorites suggests metal
segregation and hence core formation (e.g., Hewins and
Newsom, 1988, and references therein; Righter and Drake,
1997). However, estimates of the amount of metal in Vesta
vary widely between 0 and 50 wt% (see references in
Ruzicka et al., 1997). For example, Ruzicka et al. (1997)
estimated the mass of the core by mass balance from the
density of Vesta and the density of the silicate fraction to
be between ~0 and 25 wt%, with the best estimate being
~5 wt%. They also suggested that the core is <130 km in
radius, the olivine-rich mantle is ~65?220 km thick, the
lower crustal diogenite unit is ~12?43 km thick, and the
upper crustal eucrite unit is ~23?42 km thick. Dreibus et al.
(1997) estimated the mass of the core from their calculated
composition of the bulk silicate portion of Vesta (assuming
CI abundances for Fe and Ni) to be 21.7 wt%. They
also calculated the density of the mantle to be 3400 kg/m3
and, with a core density of 7900 kg/m3, calculated the bulk
density of Vesta to be 3800 kg/m3, in good agreement with
the astronomically determined values (see above). With a
radius of 263 km and a core mass of 21.7 wt%, they calculated
a core radius of 123 km.
?
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/books/AsteroidsIII/pdf/3034.pdf
?
26AI has been brought up in many papers to explain differentiation among parent bodys and not to mention, Vesta. I like your take on how you think Vesta might have formed, but I find it very odd that you have no scientific articles that relate to Vesta and how you think?Vesta formed in a different part of the solar system. I am also at loss with?your reasoning of Earths, Mars, and Vestas volume to ratio to the core size. Vesta is 300 miles in diameter making the core a mere 100 miles in diameter if that and Earths iron core the size of the moon. But again the core is speculative and we won?t know till Dawn goes by in Aug 2011. But all I know is that 26AI is a great candidate for differentiation to take place with Vesta and not to mention the scientific research to back up how Vesta came to be.

?
?
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

[meteorite-list] Its official! NWA 6291 "The King ofAngrites"forsale - AD
Sterling K. Webb sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 24 01:28:51 EDT 2010

Actually, I was not addressing the specific question
of the origin of this angrite (or any angrite), but the
more general problem of the "universal assumption
that every sizeable body in the solar system currently
resides at the same address where it accreted originally."
If things move around, it complicates the picture
considerably.

I used Vesta as an example of a body that can't have
accreted in place. If there is only enough available iron
at 1.5 AU for Mars to accumulate a core that is only
8% of its volume), how could Vesta, at 2.35 AU, have
accumulated enough iron for a core 17.5% of its
volume, or 56% of its original, uncratered diameter?
The Earth has a core of 17% of its volume, or just a
hair less than Vesta. Mercury has a core that's 43%
of its volume. Both the Earth and Mercury have
acquired part-corers from encounters with impactors
though.

Iron is a moderately refractory element. It will be
vaporized in the solar nebula only relatively close
to the Sun. The temperature will drop by the square
of the distance out in the protoplanetary disc and
iron will soon condense into the materials from
which grains will form, get sticky, form particles,
accrete, etc.

How you gonna get that much iron vaporized out at
2.35 AU? The answer to that question is the same one
I gave before: No Way. And for the same reason.

If you want to know what should accrete out there,
you can compare Vesta to Ceres. Ceres is in essentially
the same region as Vesta, at 2.7 AU compared to
Vesta's 2.35. AU. Ceres seems to have no core at all,
although Ceres is certainly large enough to have
differentiated. Ceres likely did accrete in place from
rock and ice, as it is the largest body in the asteroid
zone, six times the volume of the original, uncratered
Vesta.

We can identify Lunar and Martian meteorites only
because we have composition data gathered by humans
and robots. That's the only reason. Without a sample
or a set of readings from Mercury, or Venus, or anywhere,
the means of reasonable proof are absent.

When the Dawn mission gets to Vesta, we will likely
be able to nail down the HED identification with that
body. I quote the mission parameters: "This mission
was designed to verify the basaltic nature of Vesta
inferred both from its reflectance spectrum and from
the composition of the howardite, eucrite and diogenite
meteorites believed to have originated on Vesta."

Failure to find the expected HED terrain on Vesta would
be.... interesting. Dawn will be the first test of the entire
effort to "reason out" parent bodies. It will provide evidence
where they has mostly been speculation.

The paper you cite (by Chambers) is a good summary
of the problems in planetary formation theory. There
are lots of those. I used Vesta as an example because
it's an obvious example of the sort of thing he discusses
in the section on "planetary embryos." Vesta would be
at the smallest end of their size range -- not too hard
to toss around.

Until there is evidence enough to settle the question, it
remains speculation. we've had definitions of Science and
of Faith on the List recently. Let me add another one more:
Speculation. Speculation is what you do while you're
waiting for evidence, because there isn't enough evidence
yet for proof.

Sterling K. Webb