[meteorite-list] LOST CITY-first meteorite fall to bephotographedin the USA :)

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:58:52 -0700

The Pasamonte event was a truly remarkable photo, captured by chance. There
are two great images of it and the smoke train on the cover of Jim Schwade's
Collection Catalog.

This isn't the first time the Pasamonte photo topic has come up on the list.
There was a good thread on this in June 2003 in the archives. As pointed out
then, C.C. Wylie (Pop. Astronomy, 1950) argued against the Pasamonte photo
being an actual photo of the fireball itself, but instead, the luminous
train.

A quote from Marco Langbroek of Dutch Meteor Society citing some of Wylie's
work: "The photograph was taken by a ranch foreman. He was inside the house
when alerted by a bright flash outside. He picked up his camera, went
outside to a spot with clear view, and took the picture. He actually opened
the shutter while still walking... Given the sequence related, it is likely
that it pictures the bright persistent train rather than the fireball
itself."

Either way, I think it would be appropriate to simply state that "The Lost
City Fireball was the first in the US to be captured by a photographic
network resulting in subsequent recovery."

By the way, Another remarkable chance set of photos was that of the
Kendleton (1939) fireball's luminous train. Perhaps someone has a photo they
can post? I have never seen these photos.

Have a great day everyone and don't fight!

Mike Bandli
Historic Meteorites
www.HistoricMeteorites.com
and join us on Facebook: