[meteorite-list] Meteorites as Ammunition

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:51:32 -0400 (EDT)

Bill says "...just about any firearm".

Just about any muzzle loader with a patched round can eat balls made of meteorite material, or anything else for that matter. It wouldn't surprise me if we learned that some enterprising conquistador had heated up some Campo and used the balls in his matchlock..or a canon.

Does anyone care to expound on what temp one would have to heat an iron meteorite to be able to pour the melt into a mold to make a musket ball? Could different classes of irons have different melt temperatures? Would inclusions be easily seperated?

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536