[meteorite-list] Meteorite 20 Questions - Answer and Share if you Dare. :)

From: Thunder Stone <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:04:26 -0700

My Answers from Greg S.

> Subject: [meteorite-list] Meteorite 20 Questions - Answer and Share if you Dare. :)
>
> 1) When did you start collecting?

Started in 1997

> 2) What first interested you about meteorites?

Since I was little, I like racks and fossils and my brother liked astronomy so a natural fit as I grew older

> 3) What was your first meteorite purchase, and from whom?

A Canyon Diablo - that Meteorite Store on Hwy 40 near Holbrook

> 4) How many meteorites or localities do you currently have in your collection? ~100
>
> 5) If you had to know for insurance purposes, what do you value your
> entire collection at? - in dollars - ballpark figure OK, or just say
> "none of your business".
>
> 6) What is your favorite meteorite and why?

My first one I found in 2006 - a ~16.5 gram L4 found a Superior Valley Dry Lake

> 7) Have you ever found a meteorite in the field?

Many... found more than I've bought

> 8) Did you ever get the deal of a lifetime on a meteorite? If so, what was it?

yes - but no comment

> 9) Did you ever go through the ordeal of a lifetime to obtain a
> meteorite? If so, please explain.

not really - just many 1000's hours hunting

> 10) Have you ever consumed meteoritic material? (If so, how or under
> what circumstances?)

Nope

> 11) Does your spouse share your meteorite passion, is ambivalent
> towards it, or resents it?

No - she calls them boring and ugly black rocks, but I still love her

> 12) Have you ever let a bill go unpaid or late to buy a meteorite?

No

> 13) A perfectly oriented, fully crusted, baseball-sized, lunar
> meteorite crashes through your roof and lands in your lap while you
> are reading this. It's the most gorgeous aesthetically-superior
> specimen you have ever seen - like Lafayette, but better. It legally
> belongs to you. What do you do with it?

First do the "meteorite Dance" then Take about 1000 pictures... perhaps sleep with it for about a week or so... and then finally cut 20 grams for classification.? I would donate much to museums throughout the world - perhaps half.

> 14) Statistics have caught up with someone. Anne Hodges will no
> longer be the only documented person to be struck by a falling
> meteorite. Assuming the next person struck could be anyone and you
> could pick that person, who would it be? (silly answers only, nothing
> mean or political)

My wife... ha.. ha just kidding... hmm My Mother in Law while she's visiting my home - so I get to keep the meteorite.

> 15) You are awarded the honor of selecting one specimen to keep from
> any meteorite collection in the world. What would it be?

ALH84001

> 16) Have you ever sold or donated your entire collection, and then had
> to rebuild it?

No

> 17) Summarize what you think about tektites in one sentence.

Very little interest, but think they are interesting

> 18) Which do you prefer - thin sections, whole specimens, slices, or endcuts?

Here's my order or preference:
Whole specimens
Endcuts
Slices
Thin sections

> 19) Do you collect meteorwrongs?

No - I think they are silly - I have 1000's of them

> 20) Have you ever dropped a tiny crumb of a rare meteorite and lost it?

Yes, perhaps - two cases on rocks I found.? One time in a restaurant (turned out not to be a meteorite) another that I think may have been and never found it.