[meteorite-list] Meteorite 20 Questions - Answer and Share if youDare. :)

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:49:39 -0400 (EDT)

15 months ago. Newbie!

A picture I saw in a newspaper of Dr. Donald Brownlee of NASA holding NWA 5000 over his head with both hands and a big smile on his face.

I bought my first meteorite from Robert Cucchiara (Meteorite Madness)in May of 2009. A triple cut and etched 2.7 kilo Campo with beautiful even regs and a couple of unusual troilite inclusions. It just jumped out of the monitor and said "pick me! pick me!".

One hundred and fifty six. I had to go count them just now. I think some must have mated. Probably a little Fukang going around the meso drawer.

I don't mind talking money. It seems popular to do so today. I know how much I spent to the penny for those I purchased, and I can guess as to the value of the few I have received as gifts, and then there is the big chondrite I found which was just appraised. Probably, somewhere between $35,000 and $40,000 in acquisition, so the retail value would, I trust, be higher.

A 2.1 gram crusted Nakhla individual with it's original British Museum collection card and release papers that has been keep unmolested-molested in a sterile container accompanied by an attribution letter from another major institution. It's my favorite because I'm hoping one night little green aliens will crawl out of it.

Did I! Last May 5th. I went hunting with Sonny Clary in Pahrump Valley 45 minutes from my house in an area he said he had been working for over six years. Stepped out of the truck and limped a couple of hundred yards out into the desert and tripped over a 29 pound LL6 chondrite sticking four inches out of the sand. It was my first find. It turned out to be the largest individual stone meteorite found in Nevada.

The Nakhla described above.

No ordeals. It has all been a most pleasant experience except for one bump caused by a sobering lack of judgement.

Yes. When I set about to polish the half of the big chondrite I found, I got my face right up on it as I was using the 600 grit and didn't realize I was breathing the particles until I coughed and sneezed black soot the next morning.

The Countess, who generally eschews any activity I engage in, likes meteorites and the people associated with them. It might have something to do with that gorgeous Lapis Lazuli necklace a Moroccan made for her in Tucson.

Not yet...but I can see it in my future.

Pick it up with nitrile gloves and put it in sterile container. Pick up all the house debris and store it in bags by type. Call Allstate. Call the firm of Brownlee, Irving, Bunch and Hupe'.

Me.

No.

Say again?

I haven't studied enough specimens to have developed a preference. I'm sort of omnivorous at this point in my education.

Unintentionally.

Yes. I bought 4 mg of original Shergotty and when I opened the membrane box to look at the little "Bessy" specks under the scope they just flat disappeared. I discovered membrane boxes are like minature trampolines.

I hope everyone who read these answers knows how happy I would be if they brought a smile, or two.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536