[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil webpage

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 04:31:45 -0700

I had this post as a draft earlier - seems a perfect time to post it:

Hello All,
The initial expedition did in fact find more than one *complete
individual* from the fall.
If you take a look at the following website, you'll see links to two photos:

http://www.b14643.de/Sahara/Kamil_Patatrac_Crater/index.htm

Photo links:

http://www.b14643.de/Sahara/Kamil_Patatrac_Crater/Kamil_1big.jpg

http://www.b14643.de/Sahara/Kamil_Patatrac_Crater/Kamil_3big.jpg

Take a look at the first and second photos. Those are both in-situ
photos; the meteorites have yet to be moved, or the dirt around them
disturbed.
Also note the differing shapes and the surface patina of each iron. I
initially thought that the iron might simply have been rolled over -
but take a look at the patina visible in each photo.
The surface of Gebel Kamil irons varies greatly: especially the
contrast between exhumed and buried surfaces. Exposed surfaces
typically exhibit a dark patina and sometimes corrosion pitting.
Buried surfaces are often better-preserved, but look entirely
different; they're rusty.

Both of the photos above are of the upper, sandblasted surfaces of
meteorites that have yet to be moved from where they were found.

So, two or more individuals.

Regards,
Jason