[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil webpage

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:21:40 -0700

Hello Bernd, Svend, All,
1) The background for each photo is significantly different. One is
loose sand. The other, large rocks.
The photos were therefor not taken in the same place.
2) The photo on the left is pretty clearly the iron before it was
moved. It's well-embedded in undisturbed ground. The photo on the
right...maybe not. We can't tell if that iron is sitting on the
ground (so it could have been moved there).
3) If we're to assume the photo of the iron on the right is of the
same iron, we have to wonder about why they would have removed it from
its hole (on the left), moved it to a rocky area (photo on right), put
some soil on top if it (note that it's clean on the left), and then
took another picture of it, with a GPS next to it, as though they're
recording a find location. Of course, the GPS could just be for
scale, but since they didn't use a GPS for scale purposes with the
left hand (clearly in-situ) photo, it seems unlikely that they would
then use it exclusively for scale purposes after moving the iron.
-All the less likely because the first photo shows a fairly wide angle
- and there are *no* rocks nearby.
I suppose you could count this as circumstantial evidence, because the
iron could have been exhumed, moved, covered in dirt, and then
photographed, but this seems very unlikely.

Regardless, the photos are clearly not of the same thing taken from
different angles, because the background in each is very, very
different.

Regards,
Jason