[meteorite-list] A Twisted Meteor Trail Over Tenerife

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 16:18:48 -0700

Hi Rob, Sterling, List,

I think you might be right... ;) I might be able to answer my own
question. I enhanced and enlarged the image on my computer. The stars
aren't squiggly because they're bigger. If that makes sense. The stars
don't move across the plane of view as much as the meteoroid during the
1 minute exposure. A "Bump" to the tripod during this exposure would
make the stars appear larger as the wobble of the camera allows the star
to move in a back and forth pattern until the camera stops moving,
making the stars appear as slightly larger. If you zoom in to 500X,
you'll notice a kind of half halo around most of the larger stars
suggesting the camera moved during the exposure, and the smaller stars
don't seems to be the round points of light they should be, and are in
fact linear streaks of light..

Back to the meteor. The meteor moved across the frame's plane of view,
basically covering more distance across the frame than the stars. Bump
the camera just a little, and I can see where this would make the meteor
trail appear to spiral/zig-zag. Add in the fact that it tapers toward
the end into a straight line would correspond to the motion of the
camera settling back to a stationary position.

Occum's Razor in effect... I stand corrected.

Bump...

Regards,
Eric