[meteorite-list] Another Lunar Density Question

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 12:26:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi List,

I just got an update that the Moons average density is 3.344 g/cm3 and that Mare type basalts are pretty close to this average. I was told that Kalahari 009's bulk density is greater than 3.275 g/cm3 but no reference was provided. Does this figure sound correct?

I would think that lunar meteorites would be a little lower when porosity and vesicles are take into account but I find my knowledge is lacking in this seemingly simple area. My understanding is that Mare type lunar material is generally more dense than highlands material.

Does trend hold true for Lunaites?

Best Regards,

Adam