[meteorite-list] Technical question about NomCom and Bulletin

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 23:35:18 EDT

Hello Jeff, and List,

Like you I have watched with interest this discussion. And now I would like
to give you my personal opinion.

I most certainly agree that all meteorites should be classified, and
published. With no exceptions, regardless of the country of origin and the local
laws.

But those local laws are a fact, they exist, are real, whether we like it
or not, and publishing them does not mean that we approve or oppose them; it
only means that we acknowledge their existence. The Meteoritical Bulletin's
purpose, I believe, is to inform the readers by publishing all the relevant
facts about each meteorite, and the local laws are as much a fact relevant
to that meteorite, and meaningful to the Meteorite Community, as the
circumstances of the discovery or the coordinates.

I would therefore suggest that they be published. It could be a simple
sentence in the geography section of the page or a link to the relevant
information published elsewhere. The Meteoritical Society is a large organization
with members in most countries of the world, I would believe that the members
could do the appropriate research in their own countries, and supply you
with the relevant information. Obviously it would have to be factual, truthful
information; publishing rumors, hearsay and unverified facts would certainly
defeat the purpose.

Thank you for listening to my opinion. And I certainly hope that you will
eventually tell us yours.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com
Vice-President of IMCA
www.IMCA.cc

In a message dated 06/05/10 06:12:32 Mountain Daylight Time,