[meteorite-list] question about olivine diogenites

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:31:08 -0700

You can rest assured that there are a number of incorrectly classified
meteorites. In the case of some chondrites, this is due to mistakes by the
original classifiers who may have had many meteorites to classify and
gathered only minimal amounts of data on individual specimens. Then, by
chance, if a researcher looks at one of the samples in more detail, the new
data may indicate that the sample was originally incorrectly classified.
ALH 84001 was originally classified as a diogenite because there were
insufficient data to indicate its martian origin. It took more work before
its true provenance was recognized.

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
405 Hilgard Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
phone: 310-825-3202