[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - June 12, 2010

From: Chladnis Heirs <news_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:06:56 +0200

Hi Sonny,

yes indeed - now in the photos it's looking more glossy, than it is, due to
the strong light and the magnification.
In the very hand, it was looking like a fresh chondritic fall.
Rough and crispy, very sharp crust - deep-dull black, satin-style.
Hence totally different from the usually high-gloss crusts of basaltic
meteorites.
Displayed neither any wind ablation or polishing.
Note also, in the cross section, how relatively thick the fusion crust is.
It easily could have mistaken for a chondrite, especially because the crust
was complete.

Was quite a pity, to have had to cut it, but there was no choice, as there
are no paired stones.
On the other hand, the interior is breathtaking and keeps fully the promise,
the crust made.
With these pastel-green olivines, these spidery patches of the black
maskelynite, the fine-grained matrix fresh to the bite...
...well, we like it more than any Zagami or Shergotty.
No idea, with desert it's always almost impossible to make estimations;
if it would have fallen in our climate, it would have been a matter of a few
weeks, until the stone would have looked worse.
Let's wait, what the result for the terrestrial age will be.

Huh, we just are writing an apology, why we used the ROSPD already now
before all was sold out.

Just a moment.

Martin & Stefan

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----