[meteorite-list] Hammer Question

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:45:06 -0700

Hi List,

I'll take a try at it... Good topic I think. You could technically get
very "anal"ytical with this and go crazy trying to figure out what a
hammer stone really is.

Technically speaking... ;) The only reason there's a question about the
definition of a hammer anyway is the "percieved" increased value of a
meteorite "IF" it's a hammer stone. This is not so much about the
definition of a "Hammer" with respect to meteorites hitting man-made
objects, but rather it's about the MONEY and perceived value! Not the
dealers perception mind you, but rather the buyers perception of value
and what they are willing to pay for it. As long as the dealer is
upfront and honest with the buyer about what man-made object the Hammer
hit, then I see no problems selling a meteorite that hit the road as a
hammer stone. Just be honest with the buyer regarding the stone. Though
I suspect that any respectable dealer wouldn't bother with road hitting
meteorites. No one really cares, and it's not really special.

A point on the "perceived" value subject. The circumstances surrounding
the fall make for a large portion of that value for a collector. If a
meteorite hit a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, no one will care
much about it other than type, class, and TKW. But if that same
meteorite hits a road in the middle of the presidential motorcade on
Pennsylvania Ave in Washington D.C. now THAT would be a collectible
meteorite!

All meteorites which hit any man-made structure, roads included, in my
opinion are hammers. That to me is not really a question.

The question is how much more is a hammer stone "worth" if it hit a shed
(regardless of building materials) versus it hitting a dirt road or even
a paved road. Colletors will probably not care much if it hits a road
unless there's history surrounding it. Now, if the hammer in question
hits a mailbox, then it's probably "worth" what someone will pay for it.
Simple.

It would be up to the dealer who sells the meteorite as a hammer as long
as he/she explains what the "hammer stone" impacted and the
circumstances surrounding it, and then only if the the dealer is honest
with the collector/buyer, and the collector/buyer chooses to spend more
on it because it hit something man-made would it be worth more.

If being a hammer stone means a meteorite was worth less no one would
care what constitutes a hammer.

The valuation is the degree of perceived importance.

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA
www.meteoritesusa.com