[meteorite-list] Hammer Question

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:03:04 -0700 (PDT)

They used to be called smashers or busters like a car smasher, mailbox smasher or a fence buster. The term hammer came into acceptance during the Park Forest event. I liked the term "hammer" while others liked the term "smasher" There was a discussion on the list during this period and the term hammer won out, mainly because of Micheal Blood's usage. The coined term "hammer" has been used loosely every since. Michael Blood even went as far as using my term "Hammer Stone" to describe the actual meteorite that hit the object and not the entire fall.

I would give Michael Blood credit for coining the term after hearing it and putting it into widespread usage.

Best Regards,

Adam