[meteorite-list] Mysterious Flash on Jupiter Left No Debris Cloud

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:47:22 -0500

Bernd, List,

The visible clouds on Jupiter are in the mid-troposphere.
The pressure at the tops of the highest clouds is about
1200 bar, or 18,000 lbs per square inch (roughly 3000 kg
per square cm).

Trying to punch through that is enough to break up
anything. I would presume the debris fragments were
completely consumed to gaseous end products before
the upper clouds were reached.

The same thing happens on Earth, even with our
puny (by comparison) atmosphere.

Sterling K. Webb