[meteorite-list] Hammer Question

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 03:25:27 -0700

Jeff, All,

Hear, hear.

"Hammer" is just a name that collectors and dealers are applying to
meteorites that have hit - or in most cases haven't hit - man-made
objects.

As we seem to have figured out on-list, it's not a scientific term,
and can thus apply differently based on opinions.

So, I think the real issue here isn't whether or not a stone that hits
a road is or isn't a "hammer" as per some contrived definition - just
tell people that the stone you're selling hit whatever it did and let
them decide for themselves. It's the easiest and most truthful/honest
way to do things.

Jeff gets into how the term denotes a story...in this business, I've
come to examine every story critically, and have been cheated out of
thousands of dollars even so.

The conclusion I've drawn: people can lie - rocks don't.

Why is this important?

Short of people lying outright about stones having hit man-made
objects, dealers have a legitimate reason to start blurring the lines
of what constitutes a "hammer stone" if they are worth more simply
based on the fact that they are a "hammer stone" regardless of the
story of the individual meteorite.

We collect meteorites because they're from space, and that's a history
we can't erase without irrevocably altering the meteorites themselves.
 It's also generally what makes them interesting - or else we'd all be
collecting New Jersey objects and all of those mysterious pieces of
metal and stone that make headlines, but that seem to be from earth
(and not in an NWA 5400 sort of way). They all have great stories,
after all.

But, for the most part, we don't. So the fact that they're meteorites
is still apparently the most important thing about them.

If that's the case, the real problem is that we have quasi-deceptive
marketing schemes going on here. There are "hammer stones,"
"hammer-fall stones," etc. All of a sudden, dealers are calling every
Juancheng, every piece of Kunashak, and every Holbrook, Park Forest,
Ash Creek, and Wisconsin stone a "hammer fall stone." What's
important isn't the meteorite or it's history. So long as it's a
"hammer," it's worth more regardless of why the person selling it
deems it so.

It doesn't even matter if a given meteorite hit the ground, a car, or
an animal; so long as a fragment of the given meteorite hit something,
it gets the "hammer" designation.

Talk about meaningless terminology aimed at jacking up prices!

So, give it up! A hammer is a tool we use for knocking nails into
things, and for sometimes pulling them out.

A meteorite that hit a roof is a meteorite that hit a roof. And if it
hit a road, it's a meteorite that hit a road.

If you care about the story, don't start applying a generic term like
"hammer," because it devalues the story and makes it generic: a
collectible for the sake of it.

And if you don't care about such things...you're probably not posting
on this thread...so...keep ignoring it.

We people put far too much stock in ourselves anyways.

Regards,
Jason