[meteorite-list] Lido di Venezia, NomCom and other

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:36:27 -0700

Hello Matteo, All,

A few years ago, people questioned your integrity regarding your
recovery of stones with typical NWA weathering from a beach in Italy.
The Tessera stones that you supposedly found on a beach within a few
feet of each other...I'd like to say a few things.

Caliche doesn't form in coastal environments because sea water
actually has a pH of 8 - it's acidic. Your stones have caliche on
them. They weren't found at a beach. If they had spent any time
there, the caliche would have been naturally etched off. Well, no.
It wouldn't have formed on them. And the interiors of the stones
would be significantly weather by the salt in the surrounding
environment - they wouldn't appear to have typical NWA weathering with
well-preserved interiors.

Compare to Santa Vitoria do Palomar:

http://www.niger-meteorite-recon.de/en/Santa-Vitoria-meteorite-2.htm

I would also like to point out a post made by Mark Bostick a number of
years ago in which he included some thoughts that Peter and I (renamed
"Joe," apparently) had sent him regarding Matteo's supposed finds:

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg19749.html

When your integrity was questioned at the time, your sole defense was
to say that people were seeding the American Southwest with
NWA's...you got kind of vague after making that point.

See below for your 2004 post:

Now, I really don't know how to verify the fact that we go out and
find meteorites that have actually fallen here as opposed to somewhere
else. We take plenty of photos and keep trip logs and receipts, but
in the end, I really can't prove that we're not just going out and
leaving stones for a year or two on lakebeds so that they get nice and
stuck before we go and take some photos and pick them up.

No one could prove that.

But since I've never sold one, what would that get me? I would be
sitting here right now knowing that I have a bunch of NWA meteorites -
that other people think are meteorites from California - sitting in
vials in a case somewhere. Fat lot of good that would do me.

And don't forget; everyone like Sonny, Rob, Bob, Ruben, the Gessler's,
the LaBarbera's, Greg, Moni, etc. (sorry if I forget someone here) -
we're all lying together, apparently.
After all, many of us have found fragments in strewn-fields discovered
by others.

You, on the other hand, found a hand-full of tiny complete stones with
typical NWA weathering, supposedly within a few feet of each other on
a beach, and promptly sold the lot of them. Your only explanation
when the strange conditions of the find and appearances of the stones
were called into question was that 'people are seeding the American
Southwest.'

I don't think I need to say much more.

I can't speak for the UAz folks or the Nomenclature Committee, but I
personally wouldn't approve anything you submit - unless it's an NWA.

Regards,
Jason