[meteorite-list] Claimed pairings

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:09:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Greg
--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography
IMCA #1081
--- On Fri, 6/18/10, Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wont ever buy or sell NWA 869 due to my opinions of the
> standards surrounding it. It is tainted with double
> standards - Just my opinion on it.
I agree. When showing the specimens I have that were purchased as 869 to people who know meteorites I tell them "It was claimed to be 869." and they know what I mean.
As for buying and selling 869. $1 per gram? Really? Considering the amount of the material available and the lack of true pairing, I wouldn't give much more than uNWA prices for it unless it is processed in some way, into a sphere, or as jewelry, and even then not as much $1 per gram...
> How many people have been
> to the moon?
12 walked on the surface and if my counting is correct, an additional 12 made it to lunar orbit.
> How many have touched something from the moon?
> I am willing to bet less then 5% of the world will ever get
> to.
I'd say this estimate is probably way too high.
Figure the National Air & Space Museum in DC has about 6 million visitors each year and nearly every one of them rubs the lunar sample on display there so since 1980, about 18 million, or only 0.26% of the 7,000,000,000 of us on the planet today. Even if you say that all of the samples available for the public to touch increase this number 400%, we're still barely above 1% of all humans get to touch the moon!
How cool is it that many of us OWN a piece of them moon?!
If it weren't for those 12 men who brought back those samples, none of us would have that experience...
Richard