[meteorite-list] Claimed pairings

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:17:05 -0400

Even though pairing statements in the literature are not always
scrutinized carefully, they should always be attributed to the person
who has made the claim (if not, they are worthless). These can be
evaluated based on the reputation of the person involved. Moreover, you
can write to the person and ask for the evidence upon which the claim
was based. So, it's not like all pairing statements are worthless. It
just may take effort to evaluate them (which is why the Nomenclature
Committee does not take on this job... it's hard!).

I would say that you can write a few general rules for evaluating claims
if you are a non-expert:

1) The rarer the type of material, the more likely published claims of
pairing are to be right.
2) Claims backed up by chemical and isotopic evidence are better than
claims backed only by mineralogical data, which in turn are better than
claims based only on visual inspection.
3) Claims backed by geographic data are better than those which are not.

I would also say that claims in peer-reviewed scientific papers may not
be better than those in the Bulletin or abstracts, unless the paper is
directly concerned with the topic of pairing. Casual pairing statements
in papers may not have received much attention from reviewers.

So the weakest claims are made by collectors who buy two NWA ordinary
chondrites and think they look the same.

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383