[meteorite-list] "artifact" Definition

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:08:31 -0700

RE Definition of the term, "artifact" as given on my Hammers
Web Pages - since I teach Anthropology, (which includes all
disciplines: Cultural, Linguistic, Archaeological and Pysical) I
Used the term "artifact" in the context used by archaeologists:

Artifact (archaeology): any thing made or used by mankind.
----------
Dictionary DEFINITION of "artifact:"
#1 Object made by a human

SYNONYMS given:
#1 relic
#2 work of art
#3 Manufactured article
#4 object

        While this is definitive, I have fully acknowledged that people
Will invariably value different sorts of artifact striking hammers
As differently from others. I have also stated that I, personally,
Place little if any more value on a meteorite that struck a road
Than I would one that fell in the woods. Others, however, do value
Such specimens more than specimens that landed in a field.
        Obviously, Sylacauga, which was exceptionally well documented,
And the mailbox crusher - Claxton are exceptionally highly valued,
(Though the scarcity of available Sylacauga makes it far more
Difficult to acquire). Other factors can figure in, such as Wethersfield
1971 and Wethersfield 1982. Both are EXCEPTIONALLY difficult to
Obtain, even as the tiniest fragment imaginable - and they are truly
Remarkable hammers: They each hit a house in a very small town,
But were NOT the same fall.
                Going on and on and on about whether a plowed field is an
Artifact - or a hybridized fruit tree, etc, are "artifacts" - it really
Doesn't matter - does it tickle you? (they don't "count" to me - but that
Is just me - I was thinking of an artifact as an OBJECT made by humans.
 - however, it they "count" to you, that's all that matters).
        If so, it is more valuable if it matters not - then it is not more
valued by you. No Problem.
        I really don't see the "point" of endless debate as to whether
Or not this or that "qualifies" for hammer status - if it does for YOU,
Great - of not, that's fine too.
        I would exchange an internal organ to acquire a piece of the
Nogata meteorite which fell in Japan on May 19, 861 AD. A single stone
crashed through the roof of a Shinto Monastery. I saw a TV show once
That showed the head of the monastery allow the narrator of the show
To LOOK at it. I have even considered becoming a Shinto monk and
Living there for 6 months in the hopes of being allowed to take a tiny
Bessey speck of which there MUST be several in that old wooden box
In which the stone is kept. Even Shinto Monks realize a meteorite
Crashing through the roof of their small monastery is a major deal.
Sort of "the finger of God" or a super duper karmic cosmic visitor.
They know a cool hammer when they see one! Alas, I doubt I will ever
Have even a Bessey speck of that super duper specimen. Of course, there
Are DOZENS I would love to have and may never see, though through
The years I, personally, have been ecstatic as this and then that show
Up and it tickles me no end.
        If it doesn't do it for you - that is cool. You may be into some
other facets) of collecting - and they may change over the years. It would
Seem there are many, many focuses one can have collecting - and I am
Pretty darn confident I will never have all the hammers I am aware of -
Even if I didn't count Nogata - so many others are just not in the
collecting realm.
        Anyway, whatever your focus - may you be blessed with many of your
Favorite desires!
        Warmly, Michael