[meteorite-list] PI Machines for meteorite hunting

From: MIke Antonelli <mfrancis66_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:11:50 -0700 (PDT)

Ive been using a PI machine for about 6 years....They generally wont pick up the Chondrites, But they do well on Irons and Stony irons. I use a large coiled setup, that can be VERY versatile, one can switch from a small 10" coil to a massive swath to be pulled by an atv or whatever....I always back it up with my handheld for pinpointing and discrimination...About the only discrimination ya get with most PI machines is between ferrous/non-ferrous. I would use a PI machine typically hunting strewnfields where irons or stony irons have been found (exclusively-that is, ya wont find me hunting in a stone meteorite strewnfield with it)....Or with a BIG coil on there, covering acres and acres for cold hunting is great. (But usually non productive, because cold hunting requires alot of patience, and alot of luck)---But sooner or later one of these fields is gonna cough up a nice, previously unknown iron or stony iron! Hope this helps...If ya wanna discuss
 further how I use my PI machine, mail me off-list at mfrancis66 at verizon.net --Happy Huntin! --Mike Antonelli