[meteorite-list] New Iron (Ataxite) SHRAPNEL

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:37:12 -0700 (PDT)

Mike and Doug. Cool beans!

Doug, I'd be hesitant to call those rays, especially considering how full of sand the crater is, any rays would probably have been covered or destroyed long ago. (Rays are somewhat fragile)

I zoomed into the crater in Google Earth with a horizontal view, exaggerating the relief to the maximum setting and it appears the crater is on a gentle slope, higher to the north east and lower to the south and west. The rim is very low, at least as displayed in GE.

I'd guess the apparent rays are just due to windblown sand and dust shaped by the profile of the rim itself.

Are there any photos from ground at the site available?
Since it is a disputed zone, I doubt any higher resolution aerial images will become available any time soon, but someone may want to custom order a satellite image of the area.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography