[meteorite-list] Hand axe made from a meteor?

From: Kurt Kangas <crowbar302_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:03:52 -0800

I have always wondered what I found about 30 years ago in Clear Lake
California. It was definitely a
tool, made by a local Clear Lake Indian, perhaps Miwok, and perhaps
anywhere between 500 to 15,000
years old. The tool was obviously a hand axe which showed excellent
workmanship, it was flaked with
1/2 inch grooves on both sides of the blade on two sides of the rock.
The odd thing about this axe was that it was a rock that I have never
seen before, it was 4"x3"x
1 1/2 thick, the worked areas were solid black, but the outside
unworked areas looked like the surface
of the moon, and dark grey in color. This tool was also very heavy
for it's size, 700 grams. Now, 30 years
later, I was watching a show on TV about Meteorites, and I saw a
meteor that looked very similar to what
I have, as far as the unusual pock marks. For the last couple of
months, I have been looking for someone
who could tell me what I have, and if it is indeed a chunk of
meteorite. It is not Obsidian and is not magnetic.
I would have loved to have provided a picture, but I don't have a web
link to go to, and I couldn't send it
with this email. If this is what I think it is, than it is an
extremely rare piece, worthy of a museum. I'm wondering
if anybody out there has seen anything like this, or could perhaps
tell me where to go to find out about it.
thanx.. Crow