[meteorite-list] Science page update / desert varnish on meteorites

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:17:18 EST

Yes there is microscopic beauty even in desert varnish.

I love to examine the stuff in incident cross polarized light. Email me
for some eye popping 700X images. The minerals that make up the varnish
have different reflective properties which allow for almost irridized looking
effects when the polarization is played with.

I am just a layman but my observations (for what they are worth) is that
the varnish growth depends not only on the terrestrial environment but the
stone make up as well. Migrating minerals from within the meteorite feed
the surface.

I also have noticed small pieces of the meteorite broken off and grown
into the varnish as well as sand grains captured and encased in the varnish.
Occasionally I have seen meteorites that look jeweled or completely
encrusted in quartz sand grains.

Tom

In a message dated 3/1/2010 3:23:24 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,