[meteorite-list] desert varnish -- yes, I'd like a copy, thanks -- within 160 km of Santa Fe, NM, for a year I've noticed thick surface layers, black, red, brown, white: Laurence Garvie: Rich Murray 2010.03.01

From: Rich Murray <rmforall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:15:52 -0700

Re: [meteorite-list] desert varnish -- yes, I'd like a copy, thanks --
within 160 km of Santa Fe, NM, for a year I've noticed thick surface layers,
black, red, brown, white: Laurence Garvie: Rich Murray 2010.03.01

Commonly, there are many scattered broken solid quartz rocks that
have outer layers that may have been softened briefly by heat,
0.1 to 5 cm thick, often pale yellow, while I have samples from an
apparent multiple impact field from Las Vegas, NM to 80 km east,
of flat bedrock sandstone with about 10 cm thick rough white
rock stuck firmly on two sides of a square edge -- so I imagine ice
comet fragments exploding just above or on the flat sandstone
bedrock at low angles of incidence at 5 km/sec, creating shallow
oval craters with disrupted bedrock at the rims, with various colors
of mineral coatings -- quick blasted on?

I'd like someone to carefully analyze the surface coatings for
elements and isotopes, and possible high temperature,
high pressure effects.

Are impacts of all sizes a major source for the iron and manganese
minerals, widely found on the seabed and on various types of
"desert varnish" worldwide?

Rich Murray