[meteorite-list] Ungrouped NWA 5297 & Buzzard Coulee's, Ending - AD

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 23:18:31 -0500

Dear List Members,

Last week I announced a New and Ungrouped Achondrite, NWA 5297. Most of the
specimens sold on eBay in less than two days, here are the last largest
pieces if you are interested. Also are the only two Buzzard Coulee stones I
have with Original Export Permits. These end tomorrow and Thursday.

Buzzard Coulee w/ Original Export Permits:
7.9g Individual (98% fusion crust)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350321326332&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
12.5g Individual (85% Primary 15% Secondary fusion crust)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170451067006&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

NWA 5297 Ungrouped Achondrite (Largest 9 pieces left, priced aggressively
low!):
8.4g Individual (Last Complete Stone!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350321315800&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
5.1g End Cut (Last End Cut!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170451055125&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
2.07g part slice (Largest Slice Left!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322550854&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
1.03g part slice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322551447&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
994mg part slice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322551698&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
524mg part slice (Has 2 Large Metal Grains!!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170452352338&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
354mg part slice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170452352662&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
298mg part slice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322554079&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
268mg part slice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350322554671&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

You will not want to wait on these, once they are gone, no more except for a
couple tiny crumbs of NWA 5297! Thank you for bidding and looking!

Best regards,
Greg

====================
Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
NaturesVault (eBay)
gmhupe at htn.net
www.LunarRock.com
IMCA 3163
====================

Dear List Members,

I would like to announce a new Ungrouped Achondrite, NWA 5297.

NWA 5297 is an Ungrouped Achondrite that was found in Morocco in early 2008.
A total of nine small dark stones were collected with a combined Total Known
Weight of just 130 grams. NWA 5297 does not fit in any of the known
classification types, making it a very unusual meteorite.

Image of 12.9g main mass:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa5297/nwa5297e.jpg

Image of 2.9g complete slice with large metal grain:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa5297/nwa5297f.jpg

Classification submitted to the Meteoritical Bulletin for NWA 5297:
Northwest Africa 5297
Morocco
Find: March 2008
Achondrite (ungrouped)

History: Found near Alargoug, Morocco in March 2008 and purchased in June
2008 by Greg Hup? from a Moroccan dealer.

Physical characteristics: A total of nine dark stones with visible metal and
a combined weight of 130 g.

Petrography: (A. Irving and S. Kuehner, UWS) This specimen has a
poikiloblastic metamorphic texture with no chondrules and contains
relatively abundant (~10 vol. %) Ni-rich metal. The major phases are
olivine, orthopyroxene, taenite and very sodic plagioclase with minor
Ni-bearing troilite.

Geochemistry: Olivine (Fa28.6, FeO/MnO = 54.4), plagioclase
(Ab86.2An9.1Or4.7), taenite (~10 wt.% Ni). Oxygen Isotopes (D. Rumble,
CIW): replicate analyses of acid-washed silicate material by laser
fluorination gave, respectively: d18O = 4.830, 5.032; d17O = 3.711, 3.818;
D17O = 1.171, 1.171 per mil.

Classification: Achondrite (ungrouped). This specimen is a metachondrite
with an oxygen isotopic composition like those of LL chondrites; however, it
contains too much metal to be regarded as a product of metamorphism of
typical LL chondrites, and the olivine composition is outside the range for
equilibrated LL chondrites.

Specimens: A total of 20 g of sample and one polished thin section are on
deposit at UWS. The main mass is held by Mr. Greg Hup? (GHup?).