[meteorite-list] Metal content in Lunars?

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:47:31 -0500

Hello All,

In my experience, I have only had one occurrence where I could detect a
minute pull by a magnet to a known lunar. On the exterior of NWA 4932 there
was visible metal that would make a rare Earth magnet stick, a little bit.
After analysis by a lab, I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be
Lunar! I think NWA 4932 went against the rule though, so chances are that if
a magnet is drawn to a stone, it is most likely not a Lunar meteorite. The
very best thing to do if you want to know what a stone/meteorite is, have it
analyzed by a professional and qualified lab.

While I have had unexpected good luck in several cases, I have also
experienced the dreaded "Earth Rock" result from gambling on a stone or
making sure of what something is. The possibility of something being Lunar
always outweighs the costs of confirmation in my opinion!

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe