[meteorite-list] Way To Go Count!!!!!!!!!!

From: Moni Waiblinger <moni2555_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 08:33:19 -0800

Good morning Count Deiro, and of course Sonny too!!

Congratulations and/or herzlichen Glueckwunsch to this miraculous find!
This is a wonderful story to keep telling your grandchildren!
Thank you for sharing your story with us about your most wonderful day.
And thank you Sonny for sharing with us on your web page the images of your successful hunt.

We are sure, Count, that you are still on cloud 9 and you were most likely sleeping right next to your wonderful find!? ;-)

Best wishes Moni and Bob V.

> [...]
>
> We arrived in the desert around nine o'clock. The temperature was a pleasant 67 degrees under clear skies and no wind. We saddled up and agreed as to which way each of us would go. Sonny took off to the left and I to the right. Within minutes we were out of sight of each other. We did have a means of communicating electronically in the event of an emergency. Both of us are Nevadans and have spent years in the desert hunting game, Sonny meteorites and in my case, before it became illegal, early man artifacts.
>
> After several hours with no luck, we met back at the truck and traveled two miles north on the valley floor. After another hour or two of nothing but meteor wrongs picked up from the desert pavement, Sonny decided to expand our search area again several miles west.
>
> This time we were on excellent ground. Flat, with very little organic growth and hardly any rocks at all. If they were here, the meteorites would stand out prominently. Again, Sonny strode off northwest with Brix roaming in front of him. Brix has received snake avoidance training and a good thing, because the rattlers, including the feared "Mohave Green", are coming out of their dens this time of year to warm themselves, and shed their winter skin, making them ill tempered and aggressive. Sonny hunted with no assistance from cane, or detector. I used my staff with a circular neodymium magnet screwed on the end.
>
> I followed Sonny to the west, deciding to make the first leg of my search into the reduced visibility of the sun, so I could make the other two half mile legs with the sun at my side and rear to highlight the ground and prevent squinting. I have special tinted prescription glasses that provide some UV protection, reduce eye strain and sharpen the field of view.
>
> Sonny and Brix were quickly out of sight. About an hour and a half into things and while walking forward a few paces at a 45 degree angle to the left and then to the right, my scan picked up an irregular shape 50' to my right. It was so out of place as to shape and color that I knew immediately it was a possible. I turned and walked toward it. As I got within a few yards I could see that it had the familiar dark desert patination that I had studied on my Gold Basin samples. It was a three inch high tip sticking out of the ground like a triangular iceberg. I started to laugh out loud as I walked around it in a tight circle. Taking my cane, I carefully placed it close along side dangling it loosely between two fingers. Nevada chondrites tend to have low metal. The cane moved slowly against the rock. So subtle was it's movement that I didn't immediately believe it and had to do the exercise all around the tip. Each time it "clicked" I got a rush of excitement. Before I could contain myself, I reached down and
 grabbed the exposed tip and pulled. My hand slipped off.