[meteorite-list] Cuddeback Dry Lake in California

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:52:53 EST

I'm trying to find a place to do my first meteorite hunt and I've been
thinking about perhaps trying Cuddeback Dry Lake in California near Randsburg
along highway 395. While searching various websites, I see that Bob Verish
has found a meteorite there in 2000. So I guess it has potential. What
makes me a little nervous is the various military bomb ranges in the area. On
one map, I noticed a big circle to the north west of the lake designating a
bombing training area. Does anyone know if any of these bomb training
sites extends into the dry lake itself? My next concern is getting to the lake,
its about 7 miles from highway 395 starting at a spot called Atolia. Does
anyone know if this road is marked from Atolia and whether it is a good
enuf road to make your way to the dry lake? Also does anyone know if the dry
lake and the area leading up to it is BLM land? I presume its okay to camp
once I'm beyond Atolia, but not sure. The maps I have access to don't show
much detail...sure would like to see a Topo map for the region. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
GeoZay