[meteorite-list] Related Meteorite Falls 11 years apart? BothHammers! Both L6 Olivine-hypersthene ANSWER e

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 00:51:38 -0600

Hi, Shawn, Eric, and all the posters,

Living beings evolve to become increasingly sensitive
to meaningful patterns. Failure to recognize a pattern
of danger can have a high, even fatal, penalty, whereas
seeing danger where there is none has only a slight
penalty in waste energy and stress.

Humans are better at seeing patterns in the world
around them than any other organism on the planet.
Frequently, we are too good at it, as when we discover
the Face of God in the burnt wrinkles of a tortilla, or
accept too much circumstantial evidence of the unlikely.

Whether one thinks the Wethersfield falls are truly
coincidental or not, you notice that the question was
thought to be worth answering; we examined them
petrologically to find out.

And, just to make matters worse, in addition to the two
Wethersfield L6's in 1971 and 1982, there's the Stratford,
CT L6 in 1974, only 48 miles away from Wethersfield...
In addition to 2 meteorites in a two-mile circle in 11 years,
it's 3 meteorites in a 50-mile circle in 11 years.

Martin compares the coincidence of the 11-year falls
of two meteorites within 1.4 miles of each other to the
fall of rain drops on the same wet spot. What is the
difference between meteorite fall and raindrop fall?

Their frequency.

Many more raindrops fall than do meteorites, so many
more raindrops that the fact that two raindrops fall on
the same spot is unremarkable, but the fall of two
meteorites near each other in short order is not.

The true significance of rare events like the two falls
in Wethersfield is as a potential indicator of the overall
fall rate of meteorites. There is even a kind of mathematical
analysis that deals with the frequencies of rare events:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution

Unfortunately, it can't be applied with only one sample
event like Wethersfield "coincidence." This is because we
don't know if the Wethersfield's were a 1-in-a-hundred
coincidence or a 1-in-a-million coincidence, or as the
man in the street says, "What are the odds?"

Is it a pattern, or an accident?

Personally, since I don't like to believe in highly unlikely
events, I see Wethersfield as an indicator of a higher fall
rate, but those who really don't like high fall rates will see
Wethersfield as a rarer coincidence than I do because they're
more comfortable with rare events than increased "normal"
levels of risk.

It all boils down to your personal taste in universes...

Sterling K. Webb