[meteorite-list] it is a sad day

From: MIke Antonelli <mfrancis66_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 14:06:39 -0800 (PST)

Now really....Who among us DIDNT see this coming??!! I have to tell this story. I have been cold hunting (yeah, call me crazy, whatever) on and off for going on six years now in the state of PA. Believe this or not, I have yet to have a landowner refuse me access here in my home state, and have covered many farms in different areas around the state, and have befriended many good landowners. This past weekend, I stopped by a farm near where I live, which has this huge hillside that has beckoned me for years. Parked the jeep, went up to the door, as I had countless times in the past, Spoke with the woman of the house briefly, and she went to get her husband. He and I talked briefly, (a very nice gentleman at first)and I told him I'd love to hunt his land for previously undiscovered meteorites. An aggravated look suddenly came over his face and he says: "You mean like the meteorite men Ive been seein on tv?" I started to explain the difference between cold
hunting and hunting known strewnfields, when he interrupted me by coldly stating "We dont need no treasure hunters around here." ...and proceeded to shut the door in my face. I am a friendly guy, and I know how to talk to, and relate to people in general, and like I said, I've NEVER been refused thus far, and have always been thankful for that. Just wanted to share this very surprisingly unpleasant experience. Take from it whatever you want, I hope this isnt a trend thats just gettin started. Yours, Mike Antonelli