[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:40:51 -0500

Carl2,
Thank you.
You are also correct. It would make doing business a lot easier because there would not have to be so many different classifications being done all on the same material from the same fall/ find.
I know that there is a lot of Howardite material that is floating around with a bunch of different NWA numbers. Mine is NWA 5513. This does not change the science though. But would further reduce the value. Probably why they don't bother with co-ords but again that is a whole other topic.
In an earlier post Jack acted like he had done something wrong. I don't think he did . I think he did a good thing for the fall but the co-ords might not have done much for the science aspects. To that point. If they did the dating isotopic science they will in the short term future be able to determine paired fall material. Even if it turns out to be of an older material the science data on the fall date will be key info to have for that but, again co-ords are not that big of a deal with regard to pairings. It all rests with the fall date data for that nugget of info. Thanks. Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax