[meteorite-list] Whetstone Mountains on eBay

From: Jack Schrader <schraderj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 22:34:04 -0800 (PST)

Dear list members,

What you are seeing is the first slice of Whetstone Mountains offered on eBay. Todd Parker is one of the original Whetstone Mountains recovery team members and the slice he is offering was recently expertly prepared by Marlin Cilz. This slice is prepared from one of Todd's recoveries in the field and is guaranteed to be an authentic piece of the Whetstone Mountains meteorite. The strewnfield has been extensively searched over the last nine months with a TKW of only 3080 grams represented by 22 stones and part stones. I am posting this to the list because many of you are not familiar with Todd Parker and may be wondering about the provenance of this stone. I am personally vouching for Todd and the authenticity of this stone as I was present when he recovered it. Todd is mentioned in the monograph by Dave Gheesling and the slice you see on eBay at the present time was prepared from a recovery made personally by Todd Parker. There will be very little
 of this material available for sale as the tkw is quite small and all of the material is already in private or institutional collections. I would have liked for the tkw of this fall to have been much larger, but it is what it is. The fall was a very small one on the order of Kendleton ( fifteen total stones). If you want a nice slice of this historic fall, you should not miss the opportunity to acquire a slice from Todd as this prepared material is quite rare. Best wishes to all, Jack Schrader IMCA #2329